Creating your applications
Spread.us uses Twitter and Facebook applications to spread articles. These applications must be owned and controlled by you, the publisher. Creating these applications is done by clicking through Twitter and Facebook and entering basic information. No programming skills required.
This is a step-by-step guide on how to create these applications.
The Twitter application
- Go to https://dev.twitter.com/apps/new
- Make sure you are logged in with your main company Twitter account.
Give your application the following name:
Break the news for
- Agree to the terms of service, complete the captcha and create your twitter app.
- On this new page, go to the "Settings" tab and change the "Application type" from "Read only" to "Read and Write", save the change by clicking the big blue button at the bottom of the page.
- Now go back to your details page, if you scroll down a bit you'll see a section "OAuth settings". This section contains a couple of important values, for starters the "Access level" should indicate "Read and Write", if not, try step 7 again.
- If the "Access level" indicates "Read and Write", you can go ahead and write down the "Consumer key" and the "Consumer secret", you will need those for the application setup in Spread.us later on.
- That's it for the Twitter application, you can now log out of Twitter.
The Facebook application
- Go to https://developers.facebook.com/apps (You'll probably have to verify by typing your password)
- Make sure you are logged in with your main company Facebook account.
- This is the overview of your apps. In the top-right corner there's a button with the text "Create a new app", go ahead and click it.
App Display Name:
- Check the "I agree to the Facebook Platform Policies." box.
- Continue by clicking the blue button.
- Complete the captcha and submit by clicking the blue button.
- You'll appear on the application page.
- In the app domain box, type "spread.us", and press enter.
- In the bottom section of this page click the "Website" option.
- Safe the page by clicking the blue button at the bottom once again.
- Click on your application name at the top of the page. (Spread.us - [your display name])
- This will bring you to the summary page of your app. In the first section you'll see a summary of your app. Write down the "App ID" and "App secret", we will need those for the application setup in Spread.us later on.
- That's it for the Facebook application, you can now log out of Facebook.